Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How Lucky I Have Been


April 1, 2013

How lucky I have been
(drafted from a Go, ten minutes, prompt from Natalie Goldberg, Old Friend from Far Away)

I have never missed a mortgage payment,
yet.
I have been late,
never never
yet.
I bought a house for what felt like too much.
I loved it, held it, didn't take the best care of it.
It needed work, which I didn't understand,
but I loved it and held it for 16 years.

A time came to sell it,
for more than triple the amount I first spent.
I miss it.

I bought another house for what felt like too much.
I loved and hold it, and do my best to take care of it.
It pays for itself,
with the roof that shelters us, 
the gardens that feed us,
the hens in the coop who create eggs
and fertilizer for the yard, 
with the fireplace that warms up,
and the 200 years of life it lived before me
to remind us
that nothing is static.

I bake bread in the house
as friends from far away
send me calendars with pictures
with beaches
where I once frolicked,
pictures and stories of restaurants 
that once wined and dined me,
recipes,
remembrances of the past.

I blend them into the present
as the debt collector parks
on the other side of the street
even as he is looking for my house,
for me.

Hard times all around, he says.
Yes, I reply stiffly,
I'm doing my best.
Let them know that;
they just need to know that you're trying.

I snort. 
After all, debt collector is a job title, too,
with a description,
collect debt.

I make the call. 
They say they know it's hard all around,
keep trying.
I hang up the phone,
knowing I can run but not run away

No comments:

Post a Comment