Monday, April 29, 2013

Running (a)way

(Today's prompt was to start a poem with a line from one of your other poems, preferably one written in this year's National Poetry Writing Month. I chose the last line from my first poem. I also found over the course of this month that occasionally I like working with structure. So, I looked up a guide to writing a Shakespearean sonnet and decided to give it a try. The theme is inspired by a colleague who joked to me that one's wisdom teeth might serve as a placeholder in the mouth that can be removed when an appropriate level of wisdom is acquired within.)

Knowing I can run but not run away
highlight life at the half century mark.
Two teeth come out to end oral decay,
leaving just one space for wisdom to spark.

I run faster when there's little pressure
to be the best I ought to be, and let
me being me to be the one measure
of which past ghosts to rest should best be set.

Yet, I run away when fear fills that space
in which wisdom might find its peaceful core.
Forgetful of the high prices that lace
grisly quests to try and settle the score.

Fearless is one who stops running away
and embarks on running only for play.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment