Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mundane discoveries

Today's Writer's Digest prompt was to write a discovery poem. I found myself focusing on mundane discoveries of the day about cat food, plantar's warts, the protein content of plant-based foods. Reflection on the mundane led to the real discovery: life seems to be in a holding phase so that certain projects get done, certain milestones are accomplish before jumping forward.

Tonight, I discovered that duct tape might be able to cure plantar's warts.
Cut off a piece.
Place over afflicted area.
Wait six days.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

Apparently, it's no more effective than a placebo.
But it probably costs a lot less than the over-the-counter remedy,
or the physician's treatment.
The warts hurt, especially when you're a runner.
For the most part, however, they go away eventually.

I discovered that cat food should contain meats
as the first five ingredients.
It should be real meat, no animal by-products.
Protein and fat will help an overweight cat
more than carbs.
Which seems odd that the vet recommended a diet food that is low in fat and does contain carbs.
Still, the heavy cat loses weight when he eats it.

Is there more to discovery than these simple finds?
I seem focused less on the ethereal and more on the mundane.
It's as if I just want to get through this phase.
I'm waiting for news:
for things to get better,
for debts to get paid off,
for poorness to pass.
What I discovered is that I'm less worried about being broke this year than I was last year.
Everything becomes habitual in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment