Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Taken in

(Following the practice of last year's National Poetry Writing Month event, I am working with prompts posted to the Writer's Digest website. Today's prompt was to write a beginnings poem or an endings poem, or both. Writers were invited to mix, match, and combine as they pleased. Using a technique of writing a poem from beginning to end and then rewriting it from end to beginning, I discovered -- as I often do -- that I liked the end to beginning better. But the flow was a little off, so I mixed and matched and edited and revised, and ultimately broke the ending and beginning into two, reversed the flow, and came up with this. The prompt is here: http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/2014-april-pad-challenge-day-1)

Taken in
Last night, I couldn't decide if I still trusted the spirit.
"Show me the way."
Nine years ago, I had put my fate in the hands of a holy spirit and simply surrendered.
The result ...
A life that is richly rewarding
and financially harder.
That was a beginning.
Sadness, fatigue. Aching head all day at work.
I kept hunting for a rationale for the pain and couldn't locate it so I slept.

Finally ....
around three minutes, I started to laugh.
M&Ms are not seeds. They will melt in the soil.
I was drawn in, mesmerized, seduced by faith.
My questioning voice was screaming, but intrigued ...
I clicked on the link and proceeded to watch a five-minute video on growing your own chocolate by planting M&Ms.
A joke. April 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment