Sunday, April 12, 2015

Being outdoors

(Today's NaPoWriMo.net prompt was to write about your favorite room, place, meal, day, or person. I  based this poem on a series of writings in nature that I did last fall as part of a workshop on Root, Word and Ritual in Storytelling. One thing I learned from the writings I did was that I love being in nature, as long as I'm not sitting still.)

My profession: books, desks,
offices, classrooms,
closed doors,
meetings, long hours
sitting and listening,
or trying to.

My favorite place: outdoors
in sun, in soil, sweating as I work out,
getting dirty as I make things grow.
The kitchen and food that I cook
from what grows outdoors.

I cannot write or teach outdoors.
Bugs, breezes, the sun's angle
all distract me. I hate sitting on uneven ground,
getting damp from dew lingering on grass,
itchy from organism residing in soil.
My favorite place requires
not sitting still.

No comments:

Post a Comment