Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Walkers

When you're on the down and out, conventional wisdom is to pick yourself up,
Get back on your feet, start walking again.
One step forward, two steps back --
some day the pattern reverses
as long as you keep moving forward,
one step at a time.
Walking down a busy street at rush hour,
I hear a car horn and a driver hailing me,
"Would you like a ride?"
"No thanks," I cheerfully reply.
The driver looks confused so I explain,
"This is my workout today."
A glimmer of light shimmers in her eyes
as she smiles and wishes me well.
Just walking won't cut it; a workout makes sense.
Fit-bits and pedometers measure our steps,
promising to make us fit.
Meanwhile, some walk the malls in frigid weather,
making friends and exchanging copies of India Abroad.
"Did you have a breakdown?"
"Are you trying to get somewhere?"
"Where are you going?"
It doesn't matter why or where, if you're just walking.
Do marchers in Baltimore wear fit-bits as a way of measuring the struggle for justice?
Does anyone offer them a ride?
Perhaps the police do.

No comments:

Post a Comment