Sunday, April 5, 2015

Meeting the road

(Today's prompt from http://www.napowrimo.net was to work with an Emily Dickinson poem, with an ultimate goal of using one of her poems as a sort of inspiration for a new poem of one's own. I chose a poem entitled "I started early -- took my dog -- ", which I found at the Poetry Foundation site to which the poem links, and played with the prompt from there. Part of my subject matter was my primary activity for the day: driving 750 miles alone, mostly along Interstate 90, from 6:30 a.m. to about 8 p.m. Here's what I came up with:

I started early.
I took my coffee and met the road.
The squirrels at ground zero came out to greet me
and ravens in the upper stories extended coal hands
presuming me to be no more than a speck of the day's fare.
My radio played through jazz and hip-hop, and praises to Jesus in genres across multiple cultures.
But no song moved me till the road rumbling under reached in.
Its vibration joined my trembling dashboard and my driver's seat, too, and made as it would take me in completely.
And then I was all involved, too.
No one seemed to know.
I exited the freeway; barely acknowledging my existence, the road withdrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment